Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Spook Country and Cyberspace

According to a c|net news interview with author William Gibson, who coined the term "cyberspace", about his new book, Spook Country:
The thing that has affected me most directly during Pattern Recognition, and subsequently, is the really strange new sense I have of the Google-ability of the text. It's as though there is a sort of invisible hyperlink theoretical text that extends out of the narrative of my novel in every direction.
And on his recent reading in Second Life: What I find most interesting about Second Life is that I've noticed now, very occasionally, I'll see on the street someone who looks as though they have escaped from Second Life. There are people who look all too much like Second Life avatars and I don't know if they were there before or whether I just hadn't notice them.

On being asked how well his earlier novels, such as Neuromancer (1984) have stood the test of time, Gibson noted that he had completely missed mobile phones, and that the Soviet Union was another whopping anachronism looming in the background of the book.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home